Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Clinch 4-13-13  (Read 6535 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Clinch 4-13-13
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:30:07 AM »
Fred Mertzs, Dave and I floated the Clinch Sat in Yaks, SUP's and Poontoons. Water was low clear and cold. Skies were bright blue and clear.  Humidity was low and it was an all around perfect day. My only complaint was that is was too short. Fishing was real good. Most fish took a PT or midge of one color or the other. This river really sucks and is waaay tooo far away. Would be better off  to just fish Nices Mill for a Trout fix. BTW there is a Mayfly hatch going on the Stones right now. The Stocked trout were keyed in on them last week. I took the Supreme up almost to Nices Mill. Carp are there too waiting on the hatch to begin and the Stripe and Hybrid aren't far behind.  Should be awesome.

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
Re: Clinch 4-13-13
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »
Beautiful day to be on the river, but it's perplexing to not see more big fish cruising about, particularly given how good of shape so many of the 11-14" fish are in. Perfect fins, not a scale out of place, nice color, you'd think there's no way they could have come out of a hatchery.

I suspect a lot of the locals think a slot limit means you gotta cut a slot down their belly to gut them...

Curtis Martin

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »
Nice pics and report. Never been myself, but look forward to it one day.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 05:41:29 PM »
You really should make the trip Curtis. It's worth it.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 06:16:54 PM »
Slabs---I heard that river fishes...  You proved the rumors to be true.

Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

Fred Mertz

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 07:33:26 PM »
Thanks to Mike and Dave for inviting me.
Had a great day 'tooning along.

Surveying the entry point.

Which way is upstream?

Right off the truck and onto a fly...

This guy had been around a little longer.

It takes talent and stamina to fish like this all day.  That's why I don't.  But Dave sure makes it look easy.

Thanks again guys.  Looking forward to the next time.
 ;D

MN Fishing Bum

Clinch 4-13-13
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 08:26:29 PM »
This is an awesome piece of water.   Had a great trip there several years ago.  Some big fish lurk there...

Travis C.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 07:55:22 AM »
That water looks really good. It's been a while since I have seen low clear trout wading water.

Was out at Percy yesterday having an island lunch with my 5 yr old and the wind must have been 15-20mph. We seen 2 paddle boarder go from Cooks all the way out and down to almost OH Cove then back. They seemed to have no problem in the big white capping chop/wind. I was very impressed at how easily and fast the could still move.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Clinch 4-13-13
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »
Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 04:13:41 PM »
Looks like you boys had a great trip! 8)  I need to try that paddle board stuff out one day when it's warmer. ;)

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 08:14:54 PM »
Looks like you boys had a great trip! 8)  I need to try that paddle board stuff out one day when it's warmer. ;)

I am with you Glenn, I would be swimming and I have decent balance.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum