Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Sling Packs  (Read 12932 times)

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
Sling Packs
« on: April 24, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »
anyone beside Looper use a Sling Pack, I've looked at the Orvis one a time or two but never really gave it a good look.

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: Sling Packs
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 04:06:02 PM »
I use my Fishpond as a sling pack it's supposedly a chest or fanny pack. I'm surprised Fishpond hasn't come out with one other than satchels

Grumpy

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »
Yes, I like sling packs.  I really like Orvis one but I have not bought one yet.  I have an older one made by a guy who makes them in Washington State called the Sky Sling Pack or something like that. 
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 05:40:46 PM »
I use this when I'm hiking/fishing and it's awesome (not made for fly fishing). Heavy waist packs seem to cause me hip pain on long hikes.

Mine is black and I don't use the waist strap. It's also great for just taking along some stuff on hikes.
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/atom-sling-pack?p=48259-0-506
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 11:18:18 PM »

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 06:34:13 AM »
This is the one to get. ;)
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/stealth-atom-sling?p=48325-0-961

do you happen to have one I can look at  ;D
Not yet. 8)  However, FlySouth has had them in stock on and off.  Check before you make a special trip to Nashvegas. ;)

Delaware?Bob

• Have you heard the story of the one arm fisherman?
    • Kudu Energy
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 08:34:38 AM »
This is what i use. it is super light just enough space. Perfect loops to hook quick release net. with a sling pack i also use a lanyard for my tools. Really the sling pack is for all my extra gear.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3H6P

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 12:39:27 PM »
I like the Orvis just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Here is another option as well. http://vedavoo.com/shopping/tightlines-sling-pack/
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Travis C.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 04:42:14 PM »
I bought a sling pack with every intention to use but after becoming a stay at home dad it turned into my diaper bag. Now that stage is done maybe it will get some use on the water finally 2 years later.

Just from the daily use of it, I like the pack about somewhere between my chest or waist pack. I don't think it will shelf my vest or backpack with my style of fishing.

Looper Flies

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 09:53:40 PM »
Huge fan of my sling pack.  Orvis.  Whorvis. :P
Fish on!

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 08:24:30 PM »

http://www.fishwest.net/flyfishing/product/PG80STAS.html#.UXs28srp_5Q

The Patagonia Sale at Fishwest
Patagonia
Everything Patagonia at Fishwest is 20% off for three days only! Shop tomorrow, April 27, through Monday April 29, and use code PGSPRING13 to receive 20% off all Patagonia items, including all Patagonia closeout items. Shop early for the best selection. Fishwest always offers free shipping, so get your brand new Patagonia gear now at great low prices!

TheYiman

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 10:32:30 PM »
I know Fishwest isn't local, but I'll give them a plug.  Great shop.  I used to go in there when I lived in SLC.  Nice place.

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 08:03:16 PM »
I've had nothing but stellar service from them, Sam and I stopped by after landing in SLC on our way to Yellowstone.

EVERYTHING in that place had a bar code and was on ebay, something like 8 working their buns off, one full time web guy. Top of the list for a friendly visit.

Fishwest and Cohutta Fly Shop, most other shops should try and emulate them  :o

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 06:24:33 PM »
Looked at the brick and mortar shops multiple times, no bag, ended up with one in the mail. Took some looking to find one, Tom has since found them everywhere in Oregon.

Never looked at Patagonia gear much, but thanks for putting me in this direction.

I've had it for quite a while and only been out with it twice, CAN NOT FEEL IT ON MY BACK, and it holds a bunch  8)

If you are looking for a shoulder bag, give this one a look.