Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Hemlock Bluff Cabin in the Big South Fork  (Read 6397 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Hemlock Bluff Cabin in the Big South Fork
« on: May 13, 2013, 09:15:46 PM »
We decided to finally head up to the BSF to start to get to know the area a little. Couldn't think of a better way to do it than in the Hemlock Bluff Cabin. I was as excited to see this place as I was to see the BSF river, though this trip was not a fishing trip.

Weather started out as every weekend has the last several weekends,, rainy and cold. Who cares though, we had a backup plan. Hottub!

DJ2A7145.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

There isn't really alot to say about this trip except that it was an amazing place, smack in the middle of nowhere. The seclusion this place offers is priceless. You almost feel guilty to be in such a luxurious house in the middle of this wild forrest on all four sides.

I'll share some what I learned about the BSF on my initial trip.

There ins't alot of information about all the trials and the access points online. You really need to plan to talk to a Park Ranger early in your trip to lay out a productive itinerary. Can't stress this enough. Make a plan of what you want to do and then take that to a Park Ranger and let them assist you with locations.

There are a ton of great Mtn bike trails and we hit a few of those.

This is horse country! If you have a horse and you haven't been here,, stop what your doing right now and start making plans.

The BSF river is a big, mean looking river. The brochures I read described it at differing levels of flow. Reading them gave me the impression that I don't ever want to run it anywhere near high flow. Talk of 10 to 12 foot tall  continuous wave trains makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it.

Under normal summer flow this is going to be a great place to explore. I'll be back with the SUP and fly rods.

If you float past Angel Falls stay right and portage no matter what.Every piece of lit I read stated this. Devils Jump is another mandatory portage but I didn't study it because I don't plan to float that section.

There is a town Jamestown just a few miles away with all the amenities you would expect in a mid size southern town. I really like the court house bell that played God Bless America at noon.

If your into rock climbing this place would be heaven.

Plan at least one day driving the gravel back roads. I was thinking how this would be a great place to just slow cruise and drink a cold beer or two. There's not many places I would recommend doing that anymore but this place just begs for it. In moderation of course.

That's about all I can come up with for now so I'll post a few images from the trip. Hope you enjoy.

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Hemlock Bluff Cabin in the Big South Fork
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:23:06 PM »

DJ2A7169.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7183.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

The forrest floor is leaf litter. I liked the contrast in this image

DJ2A7194.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

Maybe Dave will come along and tell us what species this is.

DJ2A7220.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7230.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

Circa 1920's TN Plateau farm

DJ2A7236.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7237.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7238.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7239.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7242.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7245.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7249.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7251.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7252.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

TheYiman

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 09:28:09 PM »
Cool pictures.  Looks like a Red Eft/Eastern Newt to me.  I gotta check out that river sometime.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 09:40:51 PM »
Not sure what this is but it's an impressive leaf and there are plenty of them here.

DJ2A7256.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

East Rim overlook. That is Leatherwood in the background.

DJ2A7260.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7261.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7262-2.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7264.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7266.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

Beach at Leatherwood

DJ2A7269.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

Looking up river from beach

DJ2A7270.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

The road to the cabin

DJ2A7275.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7279.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

After a day of hiking and biking this was NICE!

DJ2A7286.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

The view from the deck.

DJ2A7296.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7299.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

Worthy of another shot.

DJ2A7308.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7309.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7311.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7313.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7315.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7321.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7330.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7331.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7332.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7335.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7339.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

Basement, game room, guest room, guest kitchenette.

DJ2A7344.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7345.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

Lower deck

DJ2A7347.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7349.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7358.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

Fred Mertz

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 09:41:02 PM »
What's the name of that bug in the first pic?
I saw one of those on Saturday near Rock Island.
I imagine they're fairly common around here.

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:45:04 PM »
Nice pictures as always.....
National Geo has THE map of BSF and you can pick it up at REI in Franklin. All the different trails are marked on it as well as float times between portage.
Fred that is a millipede.

Fred Mertz

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 09:45:24 PM »
Just plain beautiful.
What did you say they get for a night at this place?

I can also envision my ancestors getting by on a small subsistence farm like the one in your pics.
Back when they really worked for a living.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 09:47:54 PM »
And last but not least. I ran into this Chestnut tree grow on one of the back roads. They are trying to bring this tree back to its former status.

DJ2A7360.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

DJ2A7361.jpg by FLY FISHING TN, on Flickr

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:51:21 PM »
Fred I think its about 195 a night.

The bug is a Millipede.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 09:53:02 PM »
Yea Brady I had that Nat Geo map and I forgotten all about it till you just mentioned it. Doope!

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 09:57:47 PM »
JR there was a lake in Pickett State Park that was drained for some reason??? There was a creek flowing through the lake bed and it was FULL of those newts. Some of them were pretty big. Ranger said there was a family of otters there but we never saw them. I'd say they could live on eating those things alone.

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 10:53:11 PM »
The lake at Pickett State Park was drained???  That's the first I've heard of that!  Very disappointing - there were some very nice trout in that lake.  The lake used to be full of the newts too - not sure if the trout ate many of them.

The newt is an Eastern Newt, Notophthalmus viridescens.

The "impressive leaf" is a paw paw.

bd

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 05:18:19 AM »
Some nice shots as always. The cabin looks very nice indeed.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Travis C.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 07:43:49 AM »
Beautiful shots Mike and cabin as well.

You bet Devil's jump is an absolute portage and just upstream Big Shoals would be too in a SUP. A canoe/yak can probably run that one in low summer flow but I wouldn't any above that. Neither are marked very well...used to be just a metal pole stabbed in the top of a boulder on the right downstream side marking Big Shoals upcoming with a small portage trail on the left. Devil's Jump wasn't marked but once you get through the previous mentioned rapid look up for Devil's Jump Overlook then get to the left side of the river for the portage.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 07:53:55 AM »
A GPS would be a wise tool to have on a first float through there.