Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Texas inshore  (Read 2163 times)

MN Fishing Bum

Texas inshore
« on: May 15, 2013, 07:13:56 PM »
Just had a friend contact me he had a month of vacation to use and an empty seat on his flats boat.   Looks like we are going fly fishing in a couple weeks at Galveston and port o Conner.   Anyone fish that before?   

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Texas inshore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 08:28:09 PM »
Nope but it should be awesome.  :o
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Aquaholic

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 08:57:33 PM »
Christmas bay is stellar and can be fished out of a yak.  I grew up tossing flies at reds on the Laguna Madre and Baffin.  Skinny water shit and weedless flies.  A weed less beadchain gotcha clouser will go a LONG way

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:40:33 PM »
Fishing like here, weird. I just got done with two days in Apalachicola and they have had the weird weather we have.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

countryflyfisher

• fishing water noone talks about
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 10:17:35 PM »
been 6 years since I fished out of Port O Conner in early June. The Red Fishing was pretty good in some of the back areas off the intercostal. If timing works out right with the tides as it did for us you can have some shots at big Jacks fishing the inlet. One of my NM friends keeps a bay boat down there. if you want to shoot me your  email I ll send you a pic of the most productive red fish fly I had luck on. Oh yeah skip the cheap flats booties and go with some tennis shoes the oyster beds are killer.
The more I fish the more I realize it isn t about the fishing.  The older I get the more I realize it is about the moments God has hand crafted just for me. 

countryflyfisher

Jason DeBacker

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:13:20 AM »
To add to the fly list - pick up some small poppers - like a #8.  I like white or brown/copper.  These small, panfish-sized poppers are a classic for Texas reds.  It's a lot of fun to watch them suck one in - any they make a great pattern if visibility is off and you need to search or when the grass prevents decent subsurface retrieves.  Also, small white poppers when there are lots of shrimp up shallow work really well.

If you find some green lights, that can make for some fun night fishing.

Oh - more than any other place I've fished, there are lots of "false positives" on redfish tails in TX.  For whatever reason, the mullet there like to get real shallow and often have part of their tail up out of the water.  Between the blue tint at the end of their tail and the hope that you see another redfish, it's easy to waste a lot of casts on these guys.  It's one of those things - when you see a red, you know it's a red, but when you see something else, you think it could be what you are looking for.

Good luck  - and give us a report!

Best,
Jason

MN Fishing Bum

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 01:22:48 PM »
Thanks Everyone!   Yes we are going to night fish some green lights in Galveston and then head to Port o Conner.  He has a skiff so I do not expect us to wade fish much.   Going to try and sight cast as much as possible!   Hopefully the wind and weather make that possible.   

I really want to get into a Jack.   Heard they are like a 25 hp motor.   

countryflyfisher

• fishing water noone talks about
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 01:45:20 PM »
This is a video a couple of my buddies did in Port O Connor a few years back    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k5-jYZVw5I  . Chris Jarvis is the one doing the tying and one of the main guys that thought me how to fly fish.
The more I fish the more I realize it isn t about the fishing.  The older I get the more I realize it is about the moments God has hand crafted just for me. 

countryflyfisher

MN Fishing Bum

Texas inshore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 10:00:36 PM »
Wow that is awesome

MidTNKayakAngler

• Kayak Fishing Aficionado
    • Kayak Fishing Unleashed
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
Fished Corpus Christi Bay, and Arnasas Pass for 3 days last November. Lots of flats used spooks, spoons, and paddle tails. Mostly reds, and specks.

Jeremy