Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Kayak guys - thoughts on BPS's new model?  (Read 6367 times)

bd

• Global Moderator
Kayak guys - thoughts on BPS's new model?
« on: May 21, 2013, 11:19:02 PM »
I'm giving some thought to buying one of these if a good deal doesn't pop up on a used yak soon:

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS128TSit-On-Top-Angler-Kayak-Desert-Storm/product/12102505321115/?cm_sp=Display2013retar_DIS

Yeah, I know it's not a Jackson, Hobie, or a Wilderness Systems.  It's also not $1,500.00.  At $699, it's pushing the extreme upper limit of what I want to spend on a kayak pretty hard.  So yeah, a lot of folks look down their noses at the Bass Pro brands, and I appreciate that it's "big box" and not American made, but beyond that I'm wondering how well it will fare for folks like me who'd rather save a few bucks at the expense of not being brand-conscious.

Biggest downside I see is that it's HEAVY at 85 lbs - heavier than just about anything but a Big Tuna.  On the other hand, it looks like it ought to be exceptionally stable with so much width, though I wish there was a way to float test one.

I am still learning kayaks though.  Do any aspects, good or bad, jump out at you guys who spend a lot of time paddling?

Thanks,

bd

jgray

Re: Kayak guys - thoughts on BPS's new model?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:02:59 AM »
Have you gotten a good look at the bottom?  I'm wondering how well it tracks... It looks like it would be a comfortable platform to fish from.

Getting 85 pounds over your head repetitively is a good way to throw your back out.  I spent a week kayak fishing near the Outer Banks of NC out of large saltwater kayaks that were loaned to me.  I herniated two discs, and I lost about 6 weeks of fishing and well over $1000 on doctor visits and physical therapy.

A Jackson would have been cheaper for me  ;D

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:13:17 AM »
Looks promising but without seeing it I am not sure.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »
2" narrower than my SUP. I'm not sure how it would handle with trying to stand and fish, and wow that's heavy. Decent layout, though. I'd be tempted to wait on a decent used boat, unless you get to actually spend water time on it... 

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 06:32:27 PM »
Just from looking at the pics and, of course, in my opinion:

Decks/floor look really tall.  Might be really high off the water when standing (ie tippy).

Hard to tell about the hull shape, but the bow is very pointed.  It could have a very strong keel effect, making turning hard. (although it will make paddling straight with sloppy technique easy). Stern seems sharp angle too.

Side walls seem very vertical.  Not sure what affect that has but most kayaks and canoes have a more gradual transition.

Lots of hatches, which seems nice, but I rarely put anything in a hatch.  To me, hatches are just something else to worry about leaking.

The crossbars for the seat appear to be fairly small/thin.  At 235 lbs, I would be concerned about flexing and permanently bending the metal.

For flat water, I really like that the seat swivels. Cool feature.  However, the seat height seems to me to be in between.  It needs to be lower to have the legs straight forward, or higher to place feet flat on deck.  Also I would have concerns about being able to lock the seat so that it doesn't swivel while paddling.

The rod holder is in really odd and poor position.

Well that is my initial impression.

Also the first ascends that I saw 4 years ago were made thin.  Not sure if they are still being molded that thin, but I would want something more robust, especially for river fishing.  

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 08:02:53 PM »
Is it the Napoleon complex or is it just me?  I am just kidding.... Please do not be mad at me....I am joking.  I just purchased a SUP that is 9'8" and I am not talking about my height.  Joking again...  The supercharge by Jackson is working out just right for the time being.  I got her for a song, I would wait if I were you.  However, i know what is like to want.  What is 200.00 more dollars if you are going to have it 10 years.  That is less then 5 bucs a month.

Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:06:46 AM »
BD,
Here is a used Coosa for sale (with paddle and pfd). Thought you might be interested:

http://riverbassin.com/forum/showthread.php?9848-For-Sale-Jackson-Coosa-2012-Black-Widow

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 01:22:37 PM »
He's asking $1,000 for it (not to mention he's in Knoxville).  I'm not saying that's a bad deal, but as I noted above, I'm just not willing to spend more than $700 or so on a kayak.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
He's asking $1,000 for it (not to mention he's in Knoxville).  I'm not saying that's a bad deal, but as I noted above, I'm just not willing to spend more than $700 or so on a kayak.

Asking $800 for just the kayak.   ;D  But I would negotiate the package deal down some (or a lot) depending on condition.

bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Kayak guys - thoughts on BPS's new model?
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »
Asking $800 for just the kayak.   ;D

Ah yes, I saw that. Alas, $800 > $700. :)

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Re: Kayak guys - thoughts on BPS's new model?
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »
Asking $800 for just the kayak.   ;D

Ah yes, I saw that. Alas, $800 > $700. :)

Hell, I figure you could negotiate being a lawyer and all.....
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 07:21:03 PM »
Hell BD , I would just call the guy up and explain your situation being on a fixed income and such and the fact that you are in fact only a lawyer and I bet he will probably find a soft spot and just give you the damn thing .
I just don't care!

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »
I'm a cheapskate.  Hell, I won't even pay $50 for a pair of line clippers.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
I'm a cheapskate.  Hell, I won't even pay $50 for a pair of line clippers.

Hence the negotiation to get it at the price you want.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 09:46:19 AM »
Just from looking at the pics and, of course, in my opinion:

Decks/floor look really tall.  Might be really high off the water when standing (ie tippy).

Hard to tell about the hull shape, but the bow is very pointed.  It could have a very strong keel effect, making turning hard. (although it will make paddling straight with sloppy technique easy). Stern seems sharp angle too.

Side walls seem very vertical.  Not sure what affect that has but most kayaks and canoes have a more gradual transition.

Lots of hatches, which seems nice, but I rarely put anything in a hatch.  To me, hatches are just something else to worry about leaking.

The crossbars for the seat appear to be fairly small/thin.  At 235 lbs, I would be concerned about flexing and permanently bending the metal.

For flat water, I really like that the seat swivels. Cool feature.  However, the seat height seems to me to be in between.  It needs to be lower to have the legs straight forward, or higher to place feet flat on deck.  Also I would have concerns about being able to lock the seat so that it doesn't swivel while paddling.

The rod holder is in really odd and poor position.

Well that is my initial impression.

Also the first ascends that I saw 4 years ago were made thin.  Not sure if they are still being molded that thin, but I would want something more robust, especially for river fishing. 

Thanks, Bfish.  That is exactly the type of input I was looking for.  From research I'm getting the opinion that it's a really great flatwater kayak but it's not as good for river fishing and not very portable due to the exceptional weight.  Still, the price is pretty reasonable for what it offers.  Still shopping...