Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: tobacco pipe  (Read 3558 times)

zactankersley

tobacco pipe
« on: October 30, 2013, 12:03:57 AM »
I was lookin into getting this pipe anybody know anything about tobacco pipes http://www.ebay.com/itm/190919754419?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: tobacco pipe
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »
As you are just starting out, go pick up some corn cobs. They are cheap and will help you get the hang of it and you won't feel bad if you mess them up.

If you decide it is your cup of tea, then go spend some decent money on a nice pipe.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

zactankersley

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
im gonna order this cheap pipe and see how it goes I tried corn cob and liked it thanks for the help which pipe tobacco is good?

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:40:42 PM »
I prefer a corn cob if its a Missouri Meerschaum. They seem to burn cooler to me.

If you can stop by a place in Murfreesboro called The Humidor they have some called TN Sunset. It's amazing good and all TN gown tobacco.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

zactankersley

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 01:36:50 PM »
what general brands are good that everybody carries dad said the stuff in pouches is usually bad that buying it out of a jar by the oz is better?

Gofisher

• FishHead
  • "Sometimes I just don't pay attention!"
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »
what general brands are good that everybody carries dad said the stuff in pouches is usually bad that buying it out of a jar by the oz is better?

Most "Black and Tan" or "Black and Gold" blends are fairly smooth. As for a pipe, I'd try a Peterson. The Irish got that one right!
"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Gierach

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 12:51:53 PM »
Gordie, I am trying to ease him into it. I love my Peterson, one of the best pipe manufacturers out there.

You may want to look at a sampler pack from somewhere like this: http://www.cupojoes.com/index.html

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »
I sure do enjoy sitting on the front porch, or a river bank somewhere ,or even on my SUP, after a good day of fishing with a good pipe and some fine tobacco. No matter how goofy it may look its one of the finer things in life. I might get old but I'll do so gracefully.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956