Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Gallatin Steam Plant?  (Read 11158 times)

toddro

• FishHead
Gallatin Steam Plant?
« on: December 20, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »
Has anyone been this season?  I've heard rumors it is turned off, but I find that hard to believe.  Wondering if there is any action there.  It seems like we've had some cold enough weather to get the fish in there.

Thx.

Todd

"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

jladdsmith

Re: Gallatin Steam Plant?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 06:25:45 PM »
I haven't been in years, but if you go, you might try something in pink.  Like a pink zonker.   Last time I was there a dude throwing bubble gum flukes was absolutely slaying them.  On his way out he threw what was left of his pack of flukes in my boat and we continued where he left off. 

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »
The Plant is running, but they are building a new tower, and there is a barricade shutting off access right at the mouth of the canal.

Fishing has been fair to decent in the open water of the lake in the vicinity of the discharge plume, which is fairly typical.  However, nearly all the best water is off-limits.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 11:16:28 AM »
The Plant is running, but they are building a new tower, and there is a barricade shutting off access right at the mouth of the canal.

Fishing has been fair to decent in the open water of the lake in the vicinity of the discharge plume, which is fairly typical.  However, nearly all the best water is off-limits.

Dangit! I was looking forward to some cold weather for some fun fishing.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »
Looks like we're going to seesaw back and forth between normal 40 degree temps and crazy warm days up in the 60s again this year.  I'm dreaming of a tornadic Christmas.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 08:00:27 PM »
All I want for Christmas is a tornado shelter  ;D
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 09:36:15 PM »
All I want for Christmas is a tornado shelter  ;D

For that front rolling through tonight…thank goodness I have a full basement.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 06:49:40 PM »

Ok, maybe that is what I had heard but misinterpreted it as being closed.  I usually prefer fishing the mouth and slightly downstream.  I'd still like to give it a try...
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

Rusty

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 05:53:57 PM »
I spoke to a friend, who is working on that project, and he said they expect the access to be blocked for another 3 years........

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »
I spoke to a friend, who is working on that project, and he said they expect the access to be blocked for another 3 years........

Wow, that sucks.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 12:55:52 PM »
I personally think this is a good thing if it will keep some of the meat hunters at home.  Nice timing with how it overlaps the completion of the Wolf Creek and *hopefully* Center Hill repairs too.   Just my $0.005 (used to be $0.02) though.

bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Gallatin Steam Plant?
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »
I personally think this is a good thing if it will keep some of the meat hunters at home. 

Just my opinion, but I'm not sure it will.  I think they'll wind up just clustering around the barricade and fishing there.  Those fish move in and out of the canal so much that I'm not sure they'll get much refuge.

The tilapia will have a giant private spawning ground though.

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 09:40:03 PM »
There's no doubt that the fish move in and out of there all the time and that there will still be plenty of meat hunters too...however if it even keeps a few of them away I see that as a good thing. Will it be enough to make a measurable difference? Maybe, or perhaps even probably, not. Regardless though,  more fish left in the river to grow is a good thing in my book and I'd bet that the closure will keep some of the crowds home as the area will be even more congested and even more unpleasant (as well as perhaps more difficult) to fish. I suspect that being denied access to the canal itself will in fact keep some of the worst offenders away though and I do see that as a good thing. Perhaps a few years of it will be enough to create a draw elsewhere and they'll kinda, sorta forget about it for a while. I have no use for mindless combat fishing regardless and am just glad to see more fish left in the river to perhaps reach their potential before my time on this earth is done.