Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Back on the Mason-Dixon line...  (Read 1630 times)

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
Back on the Mason-Dixon line...
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:42:47 AM »
...just for a short visit.

Fond memories of a weedy, pike-filled lake led me a ways north (but unfortunately without an auger!). So much for fly fishing here…

It was blowing sleet and crusty snow, and everything was iced up.

Why would I pick the highest point for miles around to try to fish?

I drove around searching for open water. Even on the bigger reservoirs, the coves were all frozen solid, but I found a patch of open water and scraped up a decent chain pickerel. Not quite the esocid that I wanted to end the year on, but hey -- a fish is a fish.

I actually need a good photo of this species, but this guy wasn't very  photogenic -- he had bite marks on both sides from something much bigger, probably a big northern. The wind-blown sleet picked up a bit and finally drove me off the lake.

With all of the unregulated streams blown out from the last storm, I decided to try a local tailwater, in hopes that they weren't releasing. They were (of course they started two hours before I got there!) and wading was rather problematic. Tough conditions, but I managed to scrape up a nice fish and lost something a bit bigger. 

Last fish of the year? Maybe. We'll see how today goes.

Hope y'all manage to get out, or stay in with friends and family!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Back on the Mason-Dixon line...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:47:21 AM »
Very nice work Dave. Stay safe up there and Happy New Years!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:25:35 AM »
I don't know anybody that works harder to catch fish then this guy. Dave, Happy New Year buddy! Your contributions to the board are always interesting and inspiring.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
Aw, shucks. Thanks!

Today was, ummmm, interesting.

We never had a hunting dog while I was growing up -- when I wanted to grouse hunt, I was the dog. Greenbriers, rhododendron (I hate that *%&$#&^@ asymmetrical plant!), blackberries, wild grapes, nothing was too thick to bust through if there was a slim likelihood of flushing a bird.

Whew! I'm not 18 anymore. Probably covered a dozen miles, almost all off trail. Blowing snow with about 2" on the ground. The only grouse I saw all day flushed about 75 yards out and sailed down into the hemlocks in the valley bottom. By the time I got down there it was long gone.

Second coolest part of the day involved me topping a ridge and seeing a large, rusty coyote looking down into the valley. I leaned against a red spruce and watched for a bit. He ambled along the ridge, keeping a close eye down the slope (away from me). When he got to about 50 yards away I pulled my iPhone out and tried to get it to turn on, but it must have gotten too cold -- was displaying a low battery indicator. I grumbled and cursed at the phone, and when I looked up the yote was running right at me. I stepped away from the tree and shouted, which didn't have the desired effect -- he kept coming at a surprisingly fast clip. Well OK, that's the way this is going to go. I shouldered my shotgun and put a warning shot into the ground in front of him, at which point he skidded to a stop, wheeled, and ran back along the ridgeline. Glad I didn't have to pop him, but amazed that he showed no fear... 

Coolest part of the day involved the drive out -- I stopped by a favorite brookie creek and found new signage, with an illustration that looked familiar. Didn't even fish, just cracked a beer and sat by the stream until it got dark. 

I've got a good feeling about 2014.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 08:01:35 PM »
Never heard of Coyote charging people. Sounds like he was stalking you as prey. Too bad you didn't have some Bear spray. I'd like to know how effective it is against a hungry animal set on attacking.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 12:22:17 PM »
Wow, never heard of a coyote running at someone, guess they getting too used to people.

Very nice sign, wish we could get some of that around here.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 01:34:20 PM »
I would assume since the thing started out with Dave behind the tree that he was not intentionally coming at him at first but when he popped out from behind the tree it was time to come big or stay at home so to speak and he tried to be a bully of the bush until Dave gave him a slap down :) and he decided aah I think Ill just go back over this way ;)  that actually sounds pretty awesome and I'm glad you didn't have to pop him either Dave and thanks for sharing that

JW
I just don't care!