Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Cold weather clothing layering questions  (Read 5773 times)

jladdsmith

Cold weather clothing layering questions
« on: January 06, 2014, 07:28:25 PM »
I was recently gifted a set of UnderArmour ColdGear.  The top is "fitted" and the bottoms are "compression".   I held up the pants at Christmas and everyone laughed.  They're tiny! 

Tried them out the other day and I could barely get my ankle through the pants.  Once they were on and I was all compressed, I swear it was colder with them on than without them.  My knees were freezing.  They were about $50 for the pants so I'll likely try to return them.  Like a dummy I took the tags off before trying to get them on, so that may be a problem.  I dug the tags out of the trash, so maybe that'll help. 

My other sets of thermals are Army Polartec silkweight and regular old waffle weave long Johns. 

Everyone seems to rave over UnderArmour.   

Think I'd be happier with regular old waffle weave long johns with maybe the Polartec silkweights over top of them.  Seems like the layer of air trapped between the two would help, and the polartecs are breathable.  Or should it be the other way around?  Common sense would say- it's definitely cold enough outside, try it and then walk around and figure it out for yourself.  But I know there are more knowledgeable people on here in this area than me that KNOW.  Or maybe have suggestions for a different brand or line of UA or something.  My goal this year was to acquire one excellent system that would last for years to come, and this is clearly not it.  At least in the way I'm expecting it to be. 

Also, even the UnderArmour ColdGear "fitted" top fits just fine, but my wrists are much colder and damp and that's telling me it's not as breathable as it's supposed to be.  They came directly from an UnderArmour store, so they're not fakes.  I'm just kinda disappointed for $100 worth of underwear, when it's supposed to be the best there is.  My question is, am I somehow doing it wrong?  I put them on and now I'm colder than without anything...not to mention my junk is umm, very compressed. 

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
Re: Cold weather clothing layering questions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »
I like the fitted but not big on the compression, and you are not crazy .. they make me feel like I am freezing when they are the only thing I have on, they are designed to be the start of layering. I much prefer the patagonia capilene ! It costs more though :/

JW
I just don't care!

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:09:33 PM »
I am not a fan either.

countryflyfisher

• fishing water noone talks about
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 08:50:44 PM »
Patagonia capline makes some great layering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The more I fish the more I realize it isn t about the fishing.  The older I get the more I realize it is about the moments God has hand crafted just for me. 

countryflyfisher

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 09:16:15 PM »
to be honest , if I have to layer very much , the old white thermals work pretty goo and they are only 8 bucks at Tractor Supply !

JW
I just don't care!

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
I have Marmot Capilene that is nice, the Icebreaker Wool is fantastic, expensive but worth it. We put on the river the other day at 17 degrees, Icebreaker top/bottom, fleece top/bottom over that & ugly insulated coveralls, i was warm as toast, excluding the fingers that is.

Grumpy

TheYiman

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:37:51 PM »
yup patagonia capilene

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:37:49 AM »
You are not crazy at all, I don't dig the Under Armor, especially the price and definitely not the compression. Prefer my Patagonia capilene.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

jladdsmith

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 06:37:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.  Sounds like the consensus is Capilene.  I'll have to check that out.  My younger brother has something that looks like a thicker version of this UnderArmour, but has a very thin layer of fleece on the inside.  He swears by it and found it at a discount store in MS for $10.  I saw it at Christmas and didn't pay much attention at the time to the brand because I was sure that the UA that I just received would be better.  The worst part about the UA compression was the knees.  Reading up on the UA compression, they're meant to compress blood into the muscles for better cold weather performance for serious athletes.  That would explain the kneecaps feeling cold truly down to the bone. 

I think I'm going to stick with the Polartec silkweight over top of the more skin tight long johns on the bottoms.  On top, since I already have it, will go with the UA "fitted" Coldgear over the same waffle weave long john top. 

I'm normally not into buying used underwear, but anybody looking for a deal on Polartec silkweight base layer can find it at the Nashville Farmer's Market.  There's an Asian guy who sells military surplus gear and I got two full sets of new looking Polartec for $20.

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 06:55:54 PM »
I agree with the other board members, Patagonia capilene is hard to beat and lasts forever....
Filson's merino wool thermal underware are another good option.

countryflyfisher

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 10:09:50 PM »
I thought patagonia was expensive until I started looking at the filson
The more I fish the more I realize it isn t about the fishing.  The older I get the more I realize it is about the moments God has hand crafted just for me. 

countryflyfisher

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:08:42 AM »
Filson can be pricey, but it lasts forever.... 15 years so far and still going strong.

countryflyfisher

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 06:39:34 PM »
My capiline has 7 seasons on it and still looks almost flawless. I love the looks of Filson and from what I ve been told the durability. Maybe once my 9 month old graduates college I can buy some. Now socks are a different story I can wear through a pair of smart wools in a season.

countryflyfisher

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 09:50:46 PM »
My capiline has 7 seasons on it and still looks almost flawless. I love the looks of Filson and from what I ve been told the durability. Maybe once my 9 month old graduates college I can buy some. Now socks are a different story I can wear through a pair of smart wools in a season.

Tightwad, you oughta buy more than one pair ;D