Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: White Bass Flies.  (Read 9101 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
White Bass Flies.
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:13:54 PM »
Any new must have patterns out there? Mine is, and always has been, a small chartreuse Clouser. I like the Craft Fur alot and used to use it for my White Bass flies. Problem with Craft Fur is that it matts up bad and starts to look like crap after a few fish. Last year I found some material at a craft store that's the bomb for this. It's BRIGHT NEON chartreuse and it really lights up in the water. The color on this image is unedited... From the looks of it, it's UV and we all know that makes it work better, or at least it's supposed to... It holds it color as well as any material I've ever used and the more you use it, the more ragged it gets, the better it works. These are quality's that are hard to beat in a fly that will get eaten several times over the life of it. This material comes in several colors and I've got them all. I think I paid about $3 each and there is enough for well over a hundred flies. ;D

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Rusty

Re: White Bass Flies.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:52:17 PM »
Here's two of my favorites.  Both have been chewed on by a few whites but still going strong.

DSchlact

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 01:03:44 PM »
Those look good guys, thanks for sharing the pics...what hook size do you use for these?  Sorry if that is a dumb question, but I may be guilty as charged  :-[

Dave

Rusty

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 03:16:19 PM »
The Sparkle Minnow is tied on a TMC 5262 size 6 and the other on a TMC 8089 size 8.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »
Good looking material Mike, come from Michael's or Hobby Lobby?

Rusty, nice ties.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 10:44:12 PM »

I saw it at HobbyL last weekend Steve.

jladdsmith

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 01:01:37 AM »
It's not for me, I swear!  :o

That's how I feel when buying odd stuff from craft stores.  Good stuff, Mike.  Thanks.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 05:10:54 AM »

I saw it at HobbyL last weekend Steve.

Thank you Grumpy!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 12:02:59 PM »
Yea I can't remember where I get it. It's probably at both.

I think the hook size was an 8
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 11:12:20 PM »
Ok Mike.  Show us the goods!  I checked this stuff out tonight at H/L.  It looks good but I was not convinced it would tye a good pattern.  Please prove me wrong.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »
It'll be a bit. Still too cold yet. I used the pattern last year and it worked great for everything that likes bright Chart.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 07:47:50 PM »
There ya go Glenn. Break down and buy some. I know I will this week.  ;D
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 09:05:09 PM »
I am waiting for the white bass, but not very patiently.  I have an electric filet knife now and I just bought an industrial-scale fish fryer.  I am ready for spring!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 09:49:14 PM »
Spring can't get her soon enough.  ???
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 11:18:02 PM »
Industrial fish fryer? Maybe we'll get a low water spring this year and I'll get you all the Buffalo your fryer can stand.  ;D