Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Altamont/Coalmont Area - hike/fish tips?  (Read 1804 times)

DSchlact

Altamont/Coalmont Area - hike/fish tips?
« on: May 28, 2014, 11:17:34 AM »
Headed down to the Altamont/Coalmont TN area this weekend for an annual trip with my Dad, 4 brothers, 1 brother-in-law and my 2 sons.  We have never been to this area (staying at one of my Dad's friend's cabin) and usually try to get out a do a little hiking and fishing while we are together.  I am not looking for secret spots or honey holes...but if anyone knows of some good hiking trails that might have a little fishing along the way I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.  My Dad already has several hiking trails mapped out for us but I'm pretty sure they are in the South Cumberland Rec area where fishing is off limits...if we can't find a suitable hiking/fishing option we will probably just end up hiking, but figured I would ask anyway.

Thanks,
Dave

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
Re: Altamont/Coalmont Area - hike/fish tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »
I did not know that fishing is off limits in the South Cumberland Area..... Why is that?
Can't offer any nearby hike/fish areas.

DSchlact

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 02:38:30 PM »
I spoke to the TWRA Ranger and he confirmed that it is off limits as it is a Natural Area.  We will probably just end up hiking and I'll have a fly rod in the cabin in case.

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 04:34:52 PM »
Thanks for the info. Glad I checked your post..... We had considered fishing down in that gorge. Some of the water looks fishy and there are deep holes scattered throughout that system.

Curtis Martin

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 11:01:46 PM »
Sorry, but I can't think of anywhere close by to wet a line. I have been tempted to do some bush whacking off the trails.

Some of the best and toughest hiking is from the Collins West trailhead out of Gruettli Lagger. The loop is around 13 miles but you could hike down into the gorge and come back out the same way. Horse pound falls out and back would make for a nice hike.

Fiery Gizzard also has some nice trails, especially if you like rock climbing.