Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Elk-Farris Creek area 07/06/14  (Read 3332 times)

oldmanelrod

Elk-Farris Creek area 07/06/14
« on: July 08, 2014, 12:51:06 PM »
Got to fish the Elk on 07/06/14 from 3 PM to 7 PM. Went about .75 mile above bridge and floated back. Water was clear, typical summer water flow. Weed growth is back but not as bad as some summers over the last couple of years. NOTED A STRONG CHEMICAL SMELL AT WATER CRESS DISCHARGE POINTS. I was using rooster tail and rebel craw fish.  Met a few fly fisherman who had floated down from the dam.  Most commented that they had caught fish on dry and wet flys but were very tight lipped as to what the flys name was. I noted from about 4:30 on pretty good surface action. Caught several 10-12" rainbows. Partner caught a 17" rainbow and 18" brown on rebel craw. All were released to fight another day.

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: Elk-Farris Creek area 07/06/14
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 09:32:31 PM »
I talked to a gentleman today, he took a temp reading below the dam yesterday, said the water was  50 degrees, that's a little on the cold side believe it or not.

Grumpy

oldmanelrod

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:06:25 AM »
I talked to a gentleman today, he took a temp reading below the dam yesterday, said the water was  50 degrees, that's a little on the cold side believe it or not.

Grumpy
Maybe the cooler water temperature helps to explain why it seems that  the weed growth was not as much as usual.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:08:55 AM »
Sounds like a good day out.

Need to get a water sample tested from the Water Cress discharge.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum