Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: a brief VA visit  (Read 1423 times)

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
a brief VA visit
« on: March 16, 2015, 09:48:45 PM »
I visited some of my wife's relatives up in central Virginia over this past weekend. Unfortunately, this meant that I had to drive by Travis while he was chasing muskies on the New, but I suspect this was a better option than involving marriage therapists or divorce lawyers... I still managed to sneak out fishing a bit. On Saturday I fished what is widely recognized as the premier spring creek in the state. It's pretty water, with thick beds of watercress in some reaches.

Several of the landowners still run cattle right up to the edge of the creek (gee, wonder why there's so much silt?) -- in fact, there are electric fences right at the bank for much of the public reach. As there's no wading allowed and the rain had slowed to a light drizzle, I left my waders in the car. Dumb move. I must have brushed up against that damn fence a half-dozen times while trying to fish. I had one fish do a drive-by on a streamer but it didn't want to play. At least six or eight other anglers were fishing, and nobody else that I talked to got anything either. It sure seems a far cry from the central PA limestone creeks…

On Sunday I decided a different approach was in order, and headed up into Shenandoah National Park. There were lots of people out on the trails enjoying the sunshine, but only a couple other anglers. Despite being a bit high, the stream was beautiful…

and was loaded with brookies.

The water temps were still low enough from last week's snowmelt that the trout weren't looking up yet and didn't want to move very far. However, a nymph at their level was too much to pass up. There were a few nicer fish mixed in.

I can appreciate why the streams in the Park get talked up so much -- they're beautiful and would be a blast in slightly warmer weather.

Even with the requisite "hang out with the kin" time, it wasn't a bad visit -- but I can't wait to get back up there to chase muskies & smallmouth!

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
Re: a brief VA visit
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 07:00:18 AM »
Great TR Dave!! Looks like some really nice water!!
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »
Excellent TR Dave. Beautiful water.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 10:19:28 AM »
arghhhhhh, maybe next month, i need a small stream fix.

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »
Nice work!