Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: I almost forgot.....  (Read 3826 times)

mrl0004

• FishHead
I almost forgot.....
« on: May 16, 2016, 09:21:39 AM »
...what it is like to hold a fly rod and fish. With a wedding coming up in about 5 months, I have been pretty busy trying to be an adult. I had no idea how much work goes into a wedding. It's almost enough to make us elope somewhere. Anyways, this is about a break from all of that.

I decided that I needed a break and this past Saturday morning was the perfect time to go ahead and wet a line for the first time in months. Since moving to Birmingham, I don't have anywhere near the variety of options I once had close by. However, I am perfectly located to pursue my favorite warmwater fly rod target. Many of you have seen my numerous posts about the redeye bass. There's just something truly special about this fish. The creeks that they live in are almost trout-like in their wildness and beauty. The kinds of stream you could just wade around and take pictures of and be content.

So I set out early Saturday morning and tied on the only fly you should fish on warmwater creeks in the only color you should use.

My first cast into a pretty nice run yielded my intended quarry.

After that I decided to really work over the beginning of the creek to see what I could find.

After the first redeye, this was all I could find:

Not that I was complaining, because red breasted sunfish are a pretty fun fly rod fish. I caught quite a few of them before I snapped out of it and remembered what I was after was further upstream.

Now this is more like it:

Once I got into more rocky water, I spotted a fish out on the middle of a shoal in the sun. I put the popper right next to him and the take was as violent as it was exciting. He completely launched out of the water on the take and gave me multiple jumps. That moment is what I love so much about the redeye bass. They hit a popper so well, fight so hard, and are a real treasure to look at once you get them in.

After snapping a few pics, I got him back in the water and watched him swim off. My day had just been made.

I fished for a little longer, and caught a few more fish. I stopped taking pics and just enjoyed the smells and sounds of a small Alabama creek, and the feeling of being in cool water on a hot day doing what I love.

I also caught one of the next generation. I don't think they understand how small they are. They're like the honey badger of black bass. They don't care, and that's why they're great fly rod targets.

Once I got back and uploaded the pictures, I realized it was almost a year to the date that I last fished this gem of a creek. It's kind of odd to think how much has changed in the last year. I was in a pretty bad place this time last year, and right now I couldn't be happier. Glad it could all come full circle with the fish that got me through the last summer of change and confusion.
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

Bfish

• FishHead
Re: I almost forgot.....
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 09:25:56 AM »
love them red eyes

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:26:09 PM »
Nice pics & report.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 10:25:10 AM »
Great trip report and picture.

Congratulations on the impending wedding.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 09:38:02 AM »
I've missed your reports! Congrats on the wedding. We really need to have another TFTN gathering soon...
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

mrl0004

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 11:29:39 AM »
I've missed your reports! Congrats on the wedding. We really need to have another TFTN gathering soon...

Thanks, man. I would love to make it to my inaugural TFTN gathering sometime.

BTW, I'll be fishing that nice little brook trout stream in GSMNP we've messaged about before. At least that's the plan.
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 05:21:17 PM »
Very cool. I can't wait to get back up there soon myself. Hopefully Planning to move that way in the not so distant future.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 10:17:28 AM »
Very cool. I can't wait to get back up there soon myself. Hopefully Planning to move that way in the not so distant future.

Oh man, we definitely need to have a gathering if you are moving out of Middle TN. I miss seeing everyone.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 10:23:18 AM »
well, there is that one guy..........................................................

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »
well, there is that one guy..........................................................

Well....  :o 8)
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum