Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Minn Kota I Pilot  (Read 6712 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Minn Kota I Pilot
« on: September 14, 2016, 08:00:44 AM »
I'm about to be on the hunt for a new Trolling motor. I've repaired mine so many times now that I think it's time to let rest. I’ve owned one of the first generation auto pilots and it was completely worthless, and damn near dangerous. It was a 70 pound thrust and when tracking at top speed the AP would go ape shit and send the motor in a 180 turn. This will throw you outa the boat if you aren’t holding on. That experience turned me off and made me not want another until they were out long enough to be tested and proven. So…I’m curious if anyone here is using the new improved AP from Minn Kota? How do you like it?? Pros, cons, overall opinion???
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Minn Kota I Pilot
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 02:51:36 PM »
Looks like it works much better now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XfCeVPZUxM
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Nate L

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 04:31:41 PM »
I've got one and have been really happy with it. I was skeptical about spending the money on it at first but am know very glad I did. The gps anchor function is nice.

heathyoung

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 08:33:45 AM »
I have one on the jet sled with I pilot link. It works great for fishing tail tail waters also because you can spot kick it and it will hold you in an area with out dropping anchor or the poles. I'm thinking of buying the ulterra to replace it the only thing holding me back is I just bought it in October of 14.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 10:18:14 AM »
Well if you decide to sell it....

heathyoung

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 10:06:18 PM »
Will do. Just read my post again lol. spot kick should have been spot lock. One thing I forgot to mention is with the way point function on the I pilot link (I'm sure you know this)  you can drift an area say on the caney from the ramp at the dam to the first shoal at the stairs and then you can just tell the trolling motor to go back to your waypoint so  if you want to re tie or grab a snack you can while trolling back up. The only problem i see in this or maybe not a problem is all of the plastic that is in front of you on the way back up. Maybe minn Kota will put kayak sensors on there next one  :)

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 10:54:38 AM »
Well, I finally bit the bullet and picked up a 2017 I-pilot with bluetooth. It’s quite an Impressive trolling motor. It's got a GPS unit and a compass for heading information. Also s 72 page instruction manual. I'm a techie kinda guy so I'll work it out but damn... Who knew you would soon need an electrical engineering degree to be a fisherman.

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 06:06:55 PM »
Well get that shit figured out !! I guess I better wear my floaties next trip out because I bet I'm gonnA get tossed out a few times when the boat goes left and I go right  :P
I just don't care!

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 10:12:37 PM »
I like manuals, mount a GoPro, want to see Ziggy, er JW  in those floaties ;D

Nate L

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 06:24:09 AM »
The only thing I don't like about my I-Pilot is the button for full speed ahead on the remote.They put it right below the button that controls the prop on/off and it's about the same size.  Several times I've gone to turn the prop off and accidentally kicked in the afterburner.  Luckily I'm usually able to grab on to something before I fall over the transom.......

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 09:02:44 AM »
I'm glad I went with the terrova. Soooo much easier to stow and deploy! What was a waiting for all those years.
I'll throw this out there for Minn Kota. They are simply top shelf products. I've had a powerdrive since they first came out. I've be through every part on them inside and out. They are built very simplistic and with a mind for future repair. I could have easily kept my last one I had running indefinitely but I wanted the upgrades mainly the newest version of i-pilot. I bought my last one used after the flood of BPS. It had been under water and water had gotten into the housing from the open shaft in the head. It had to be rebuilt, which was mostly just taking it completely apart and cleaning it with electrical cleaner, replacing the brushes, and a few bearings. It’s been on the boat for several years after that and has been abused like a red headed step child, including salt baths. I broke it all apart the other day and cleaned and lubed everything. It’s ready to move on to the next fisherman and I’m confident it’ll last another several years. These folks make a great product! Hopefully my new one gives me the same service.

DSchlact

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 09:32:15 AM »
Well get that shit figured out !! I guess I better wear my floaties next trip out because I bet I'm gonnA get tossed out a few times when the boat goes left and I go right  :P

Might be an idea for a new feature...the fishing partner "ejection button" for those times your buddy is casting over you one too many times...or can't stop running his mouth...or drinks the last cold drink after stiffing you at the gas pump earlier that morning...Minn Kota could really have a good time marketing this one!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 11:17:44 AM »
Mike, glad you got the Terrova, I love mine and wish it had I-Pilot.

Can't wait to hear to future update.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 06:10:09 PM »

:D

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 12:42:57 PM »
Funny I remember this.