Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Montana on the fly...  (Read 3301 times)

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
Montana on the fly...
« on: June 27, 2007, 10:36:29 PM »
It's been crazy gettin my pictures from my camera to my computer. This computer I brought up here with me runs Windows 98SE. It doesn't recognize my camera's picture card reader so I have to go to the local computer store, ask him to burn my camera picture card to cd, and then bring that home and upload to photobucket. Wouldn't mind it so bad if I didn't have to pay $12.00 every time to get the computer store guy to burn it to cd. Any way, here's some big sky and little fish.

Ron

My first ever brookie on a dry fly. Also, I donated $200.00 to a Casting For Recovery Auction. The net is hand made by Fred Bridge, inventor of the Infamous Pink Worm aka IPW. Fred is in his 80's now. I sent the money to my proxy bidder and told him I just wanted that net. I got it.  Please google Casting For Recovery. It's a worthwhile cause.

Some folks I took on a trail ride yesterday.

We rode right past a coyote. She would hardly get out of the way. We watched her for a while. She followed us for a while. It was strange. Then when we were a good hundred yards away she disappeared into a hole. Turns out we were riding nearly right over her den, and she has pups in there. No wonder she didn't act different.

I also caught a nice brownie on a dry. Madame X Golden Stone. Big fly. Caught it in the same creek as my first brookie, but for some reason I can't get the picture to load. It was only 16 inches long but it is the highlight of my fly fishing career so far. Tough creek, dry fly, good cast, good drift, good strike, good brownie.

I'll get the picture up soon as I can.

Wish you were here. All of you.

Listen, my new home town is Deer Lodge, Montana.  Google it up and if you want to fish anywhere near here, you have free room upstairs. Not the Ritz Carlton, but I do have indoor plumbing. Buy your own grub, and on my days off I'll show you what I've learned so far.

IT'S ABSOFRICKENLUTELYPHENOMINALISTICTROUTORGASMICTICLE.
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

Rusty Garoutte

Re: Montana on the fly...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 10:58:57 PM »
Ron, Don't hold back on telling us how you really feel.  hahaha  What a way to spend the Summer.
I need a break!

RonS

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:29:26 PM »
 ;D
Hey Rusty, all I can say is it's IT'S ABSOFRICKENLUTELYPHENOMINALISTICTROUTORGASMICTICLE.
  ;D
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 08:02:24 AM »
Ron I might have to come see ya!
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 08:52:29 AM »
I am sooooo jealous!!!  ;D
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 09:56:13 AM »
just checked:

Nashville to Butte is $592 round trip, Oct 1-11, "that's my next block of vacation" supposed to be going to Arkansas, fish the White/Buffalo. Haven't been able to make my last 2 FFF meetings, will try and make it to the tying 4th Thursday tonight, will find out if all the spaces are taken. (hope they are), if so Ron, expect an email ;D

Been three years late August since I've been out, and I need a fix real bad.

RonS

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 11:37:19 PM »
I may still be here. Depends on the weather.

You guys should also check Delta and Frontier into Missoula, Bozeman, Butte.

Southwest flies into Spokane, WA. It's a four hour drive from here but you can probably fly there and back for less than $350 from Nashville.

The only drawback to this gig so far, is trying to plan a day off. My nieces are flying in on the 26th of July. They were coming the weekend of the 14th and 15th. I was going to take them to Yellowstone camping. Got booked for trips those days so we changed their flights to the 26th of July, same time my Mom is driving up to see me. At least then if I do have to work, the girls won't be alone.

Wife is flying in late September and staying til it's time to drive home. Could be the last day of Sept, or the middle of Oct. Depends on weather and business. We'll see.

Come one come all. I mean it. I may have to work but I can point you to the hot spots. Plus, as Caneybuff knows, it's daylight a long time here. If I finish a trip at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, we still got 6 or 7 hours to fish. You don't sleep much here. It's day light from 4:45am to 10:pm.  ;D  Lot's of caddis in the evenings. Ain't that right DanOMagician?

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 07:41:07 AM »
Frontier Nashville to Billings is $356.98 round trip only town they fly to, I think when I left Missoula 3 years ago, it was on SkyWest and hooked up in Denver.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 08:57:51 PM »
Ron, do you have a PM so I can email you.  I have been talking it over with the wife and I think I might be able to make a trip.  craig_streets@yahoo.com.

Icthus
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

RonS

• FishHead
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 10:30:08 PM »
Icthus- and all of you for that matter- Bring it on!! Putyersorrybuttsonaplane and come one come all.

Like I said before, Butte MT is the closest airport, about 40 minutes but it's a smaller place. Missoula, MT is an international airport, about an hour and 15. Bozeman, or I think they actually call it Bellgrade is over the Continental divide, about 2 hours or less, can't remember for sure.  Southwest flies into Spokane, WA but it's 4 hours from here.

sendronsmail@gmail.com

Just remember, I still have to go to work everyday. I may have to just point you a direction for the day, and catch up with you in the evenings. My schedule is completely at the discression of the members that want to book trips or hikes or horseback rides or whatever.

If I can I'll try to wrangle a couple of days off whenever somebody shows up, but no promises. If we're not busy we can fish on the ranch. Also, my boss has a cabin on Rock Creek lake that he said I can use anytime he doesn't have someone else in it. Haven't been there yet, but knowing him it's probably a neat little place.

Here's my schedule so far, as of right now.

July 5 - 11- Booked solid.
July 17-25- Booked solid.
July 26-August 1 my nieces are coming to hang with me.
July 28-? My Mom and Step Dad will be here. They'll probably go home about the same time as my nieces.
August 7-14 booked solid.
August 28-Sept 1 booked solid.

That's it so far. Don't let my being booked get you down. There's plenty of daylight left and fishing water close enough to get in some good fishing.

Bring your camera and a sleeping bag and your gear. You may have to sleep on the couch, but mi casa es su casa. I even have indoor plumbing.

I brought my dogs with me, but they sleep outside on the deck or under the patio cover. It's just a little old house with three bedrooms and one bathroom. Washer and dryer, microwave etc.

I keep it clean and neat. My bar here is pretty well stocked except I left home and forgot 6 bottles of premium tequila. Otherwise, the bases are pretty well covered.

Send that email Iccy and come on!