Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Tellico/Hiawassee  (Read 1918 times)

bemuum3

Tellico/Hiawassee
« on: May 30, 2006, 04:25:36 PM »
My dad and I just got back from fishing East TN at Tellico Plains and the upper Hiawassee. We're both amatuer trout fishermen who are interested in returning to East Tennessee for some fly action (rather than Mepps spinner and corn fishing).

Does anyone have any suggestions on trout streams in East Tennessee that are reasonably accessible? My dad grew up in Charleston, TN and is very familiar with the area however he has never been a serious angler and consequently is not familiar with good fishing streams/ spots/ locations. (Keep in mind I am not asking anyone to post their honey hole locations...just general streams...if you're willing to divulge such information perhaps we can speak over email)...

I'd surely appreciate any tips w/r/t fishing locaitons.

Also I've heard that a 9' 5 wt. fly rod is a good "catchall" rod but I do not know if this rod is necessarily what I would want for fishing in East TN. THanks all!!

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Tellico/Hiawassee
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 06:04:14 PM »
Welcome bemuum3! I don’t fish east TN anywhere near as much as I would like to so I really can’t advise much in the way of locations. Maybe some of the others will chime in and help out. I would recommend starting off with the TWRA stocking map and a TN Gazetteer. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0899333486/sr=8-1/qid=1149028442/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3276318-6068765?%5Fencoding=UTF8
I got my TWRA stocking map from a fly shop. Some of the other fly shops in your area might also have one they will let you have. Worst case you can have TWRA send you one.

I think most people start off with a 9’ 5wt because it’s an easy rod and line wt to learn with. A lot of East TN streams are small and a 7’6” or 8’ 3 or 4 wt would most likely be my choice of rods for those situations. However, you will most likely always need a 5wt at some point and time so you really can’t go wrong by starting off with one. Once you get the bug you’ll end with a dozen or so rods anyway…

If you thinking this is something you’re going to take up seriously. Buy the best equipment you can afford without taking out a mortgage and don’t skimp on the flyline!!!! I think $30 is as cheap as you can go and still get a “decent” flyline. A real good line will cast you $60.  If you want to get a quality outfit and save a few bucks then look for deals on Ebay. Keep us informed of you’re progress! And by all means if you’re unsure about something don’t be afraid to ask.

BTW, Are you in the middle TN area?

Mike
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

bemuum3

Re: Tellico/Hiawassee
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 09:50:29 PM »
Hi Mike.

I actually live in Indiana but my dad and I make frequent trips down to East Tennessee. Most, well...nearly all, of my extended family lives in middle or east tennesee. My cousin is a preacher at Long Hollow Baptist Church in Henryville and the rest of my family lives from Maryville down to Chattanooga. I've been all over tennessee from Nashville East...haven't ever been west.

I plan to get back down this fall with the hops of bringing a fly rod with me. I am a bass tournament angler and have just recently begun to test the waters of fly fishing....I know EXACTLY what you mean by ending up with 12 fly rods as I already have a STACK of bass rods in my closet. THanks for the response. Ill be in touch.