Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Season Over  (Read 1799 times)

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Season Over
« on: September 01, 2021, 08:39:44 AM »
I've been smallie fishing most of the Spring and Summer this year wading around creeks and rivers when they were not blown out with muddy water from a rainy year. I was looking forward to the Fall to finish off the year strong with some nice fish but that is not going to happen.

After dealing with and avoiding dealing with shoulder pain for about 6 months I finally went to see my orthopaedist. We eventually worked up to an MRI which revealed some pretty bad news. My shoulder which has been through multiple surgeries is not in good shape. After discussing all my options, I am ending up in replacement mode on October 14th. This will require some lengthy recovery but will result in better quality of health and mobility with my right shoulder.

Not fun, but I am ready for relief and not wincing when I do the simple stuff in life. As I prepare mentally for my pending surgery I have mentally noting how much daily tasks take two hands and am trying to figure out how I can do them one handed. This will be the interesting part for the first few weeks with only a single hand to use when the brain is used to two hands being available to take care of the tasks.

This should be an interesting ride.  :) :o
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: Season Over
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 03:34:57 PM »
I'll take the cigars ;D

Godspeed brother.

bee

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 05:32:39 PM »
Good luck with the surgery. Making the decision to have it done is a big hurdle. And shoulder surgery recovery and rehab can be a tough one, so here  is hoping that your is an easy ride to the new shoulder.   

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 06:59:52 AM »
I'll take the cigars ;D

Godspeed brother.

Damn, I am not dying  :o ;D
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 07:02:01 AM »
Good luck with the surgery. Making the decision to have it done is a big hurdle. And shoulder surgery recovery and rehab can be a tough one, so here  is hoping that your is an easy ride to the new shoulder.

Yes sir, well aware, this will be my third. Some reconstruction work in '94, a scope clean up job in 2013 and now the heavy lifting. I am ready. Tired of the pain and aching.

Thanks for the well wishes.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 12:39:22 PM »
I'll take the cigars ;D

Godspeed brother.

Damn, I am not dying  :o ;D

Yeh, can't be lifting those things though ;)

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 08:28:56 AM »
@grumpy - why don't we share one before the surgery.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 10:43:05 AM »
that's a darn good idea.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 02:16:35 PM »
ooooof,

No good.  If I was up there I would at least let you ride in the boat like you did with me.  Lol-the day I put a fly in Gordies ear, and he looks around and said "I think something just bit me."  Took the fly out, sparked a tree and went back to fishing. 

Be careful on the daily task, dont goose yourself, 

Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 10:50:40 AM »
OK, who all can cast L or R ?

jladdsmith

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 06:22:35 PM »
OK, who all can cast L or R ?

I'm a switch hitter, depending on the mood.   :o

Steve, hope all goes well.  It sounds like you're set up for success this time.  Bad knees and shoulders on both sides of my family- and it sucks.  Mine switches back and forth from left shoulder to right and same with the knees.  FWIW, in recovery after surgery, and then on, my uncle swears by sipping hot cider vinegar with local honey and water every morning.  I tried just getting it over with by taking a warm shot, chasing it with milk to uncurdle my innards, and umm, do not recommend that.  Sipping it isn't terrible once you get used to it.  I'm about 10 days into sipping and have honestly felt a minor reduction in pain and slight increase in range of motion before the trigger points that I'm used to.  There may be something to it.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 09:37:42 AM »
Thanks for the well wishes.

Fresh pineapple reduces inflammation oddly enough and is a known scientific fix.

Pineapple has long been revered in the world of anti-inflammatory foods. Fresh pineapple contains bromelain , a protein-digesting enzyme known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Plus, one cup of fresh pineapple is a great source of fiber, potassium, and vitamin C, so you really can't lose.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

jladdsmith

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2021, 03:30:46 PM »
Well that's good to hear.  I didn't know that about pineapple.  I have a pretty serious skin disorder and reducing inflammation is key to maintenance.  Plus I love pineapple and eat it all the time anyway, but it's almost always from a can.  I'm guessing since you stated fresh pineapple, that obviously there must be much more benefits to that over canned.  I'll look into that for the skin issue.  Thanks!

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2021, 03:32:41 PM »
Good Scotch will help as well! Drink enough until the pain goes away and start over..........Good Luck Steve!  Our Service Manager had this shoulder rebuilt a couple of months ago. He's out of his sling now and doing a lot of rehab.  BTW I'll join you and Grumpy for cigars!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 08:58:20 AM »
Good Scotch will help as well! Drink enough until the pain goes away and start over..........Good Luck Steve!  Our Service Manager had this shoulder rebuilt a couple of months ago. He's out of his sling now and doing a lot of rehab.  BTW I'll join you and Grumpy for cigars!

Publix sells fresh pineapple all the time and the store in Brentwood has a pineapple coring machine so you can buy it whole.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum