Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Refinishing Rods and handle removal  (Read 2485 times)

TimM

• FishHead
Refinishing Rods and handle removal
« on: June 23, 2009, 11:41:41 AM »

I've run into a problem refinishing some older rods for a friend that I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

First,  the rods need all the guides replaced. The blanks these rods are built on happen to be blue in color and to my surprise what I found after I started removing the old guides and prepping the surface to accept new guides was that this is a surface treatment  and not a dye integral to the blank. As a result when I took 00 steel wool to the blank to get all the old finish off of them some of the color was removed in these areas too.   Any suggestions on other ways to remove old finish completely that won't remove the color too?

Second, the overall finish on one of the rods is just totally crazed/cracked and needs to be removed from the rod entirely.  While I don't have the color issue with this particular blank, this particular rod has some sentimental value for my friend and I'd like to put a nice finish back on the blank before re-wrapping it.  What should I use for this?

Third, the handles on some of the rods need to be removed and replaced.  Is there a better way than simply cutting them off carefully? I wouldn't want to accidentally nick the blank under the handle and create a flaw that will lead to the blank breaking inside the handle somewhere down the road.

TIA for any help.

Tim

Leo deMonbreun

Re: Refinishing Rods and handle removal
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 07:58:12 AM »
Tim,

There are only a few ways to take the grip off and most all of them involve some cutting, at least down to the adhesive level.  Usually, getting to that level will not get you into the blank, then use hot water to loosen up the adhesive and most of the time it will peel off.  you can use acetone to remove most of the residue.

As far as the finish goes, a lot of blanks are painted like you have suggested and you can replace the color with a very good high quality spray paint then overcoat that with a clear gloss.  A lot of restorationists are using sprays and using airbruch techniques to apply them.  It gives you a bit more control of the quality too.  Some like to dip them to get a good finish and I do dip some of the older fiberglass that I restore.  That can be an expensive sedt up for only one or two rods though.

Unfortunatley, removal of an old finish chemically usually has an impact on the finish and the paint on painted blanks.  If the color is a part of the coating and not painted on, you can remove the old clear coat with citrus strippper and it won't impact the epoxy coating.  Pay close attention to the finish after applying it and when it starts to lift, apply just a bit more to keep it moistened with the citrus stripper and it will come right off.

Are these rods graphite or are they fiberglass?
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 10:13:09 AM »

Thanks for the help  Leo.

I believe that they are fiberglass or *possibly* fiberglass/graphite blends....but probably all glass.  All are St Croix blanks.

So do I understand your message  to say that I should use a good clear gloss spray paint to resurface/refinish the one blank where there's not a color issue but the finish is all cracked/crazed and needs to be replaced?

Tim

Leo deMonbreun

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 05:45:21 PM »
Hey Tim, sorry to take so long in getting back to this post.  That is what a lot of folks are doing, I use a dip process that works like a champ, especailly on glass rods.  Graphites are actually dipped in an epoxy and that process is expensive.

I have seen a few rods done by a prominent rod maker that he has used an air brush on and they looked great.   I am not sure what he used as a clear gloss on them but I will find out and let you know.

Leo
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:33:38 PM »

Thanks Leo. 

I appreciate the help.  I checked and at least 4 out the 5 rods that need to be completely rewrapped and/or refinished are glass/graphite composites. 

Tim