Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Ways to make a fly rod better.  (Read 1589 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Ways to make a fly rod better.
« on: August 22, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »
I talked to the Sage rep today and emphasized to him that I wished they would make a version of the saltwater rods with some of the new Coated Zirconium Rings like these.

I realize these aren't for the purist's out there that insist a fly rod look like it did 100 years ago but I think these would sell to some of us who buy a rod and use it as a tool and not for show and tell. Maybe one of these days someone will do it. Although since a set of snakes cost a few dollars and a set of those costs $30 to 40 dollars it may never happen...  

One other thing. Why don't any of the rod manufact's seal the cork on those rods? It sure makes a big difference in the looks and life of the cork but nobody does it. If you don’t know what I’m talking about here it is. Put this on a new rod before you do anything else to it. On an old rod sand the dirt out with a scotch pad and then seal it. It’ll stay looking good for a very very very long time and it keeps the filler from coming out. Best money you ever spent for rod upgrades.

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Ways to make a fly rod better.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 09:07:41 AM »
Good points and I agree on the guides 100%. I remember casting your 7wt and it was pure joy with those guides.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum