Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Unbelievable  (Read 2989 times)

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
Unbelievable
« on: May 26, 2012, 10:07:02 PM »
Got the chance to visit a section of a new spring creek that I have always heard about, but never had the time to explore. My buddy Will was able to make it out with me.

Even though temps were in the mid 90's, the creek was COLD.

Came across the strong smell of rotten eggs and discovered what appeared to be a  series of sulphur springs in the creek bed. Does any one have any information on this type of feature? (Trying to crowd source some answers)

Some of the seeps appeared purplish in color:

The fishing was difficult with the low water levels and clarity.My buddy caught his best rainbow(released before I could show up to take an image) that he estimated was sixteen inches on a white streamer. I missed a couple of similar ones as well and we spotted a rainbow in a bottomless blue hole that must have measured thirty inches....
I will be haunted by that for awhile.

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: Unbelievable
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 07:08:20 AM »
Brady

Around here, we call it a Black Sulphur spring, bout all i know, it stinks to high heaven & will turn metal balck/purplish color, been known to eat copper wiring up that's exposed to it.

Grumpy

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 07:42:52 AM »
I am with Grumpy on this. That's what my dad always called it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 07:50:18 AM »
Thanks for that info!
Did some more research last night and found that the area we were in has small seams of sulphur in places.

Curtis Martin

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:50:43 PM »
Those spring creeks have been known to holdover some nice fish. Not very many of them, but a few to keep you guessing. With the lack of rain and high temps, now is the time to go exploring.