Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Drag Chain  (Read 10737 times)

countryflyfisher

• fishing water noone talks about
Drag Chain
« on: June 03, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »
Hey Guys I was wondering what size drag chain do yall prefer for normal river conditions on a Kayak. I am trying to figure out if I should go Mr T big or something skinner and longer.
The more I fish the more I realize it isn t about the fishing.  The older I get the more I realize it is about the moments God has hand crafted just for me. 

countryflyfisher

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Drag Chain
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:15:32 PM »
Log chain about 15" is what I use.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

countryflyfisher

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 11:39:39 PM »
Thanks Mike that is where I will start.
The more I fish the more I realize it isn t about the fishing.  The older I get the more I realize it is about the moments God has hand crafted just for me. 

countryflyfisher

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 05:25:14 AM »
That should cover it. You can also add some inner tube over the top of it and shrink it a little with a heat gun for some added stealth.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 07:17:54 AM »
That should cover it. You can also add some inner tube over the top of it and shrink it a little with a heat gun for some added stealth.

& not hangup as bad.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »
Going to kill all the aquatic insects if you use one of those.  Why are people so selfish, I need some eggs.
Fish Off,
Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:25:56 AM »
 icthus,, is it like the san juan shuffle for kayaks??

Do use eggs on your SUP?
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

countryflyfisher

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 10:56:38 AM »
I always wondered why people made such a big deal about the San Juan Shuffle till I fished the San Juan. I was pretty freaked when I saw the biggest trout of my life eating nymphs within a foot or 2 or my feet for the first time .

countryflyfisher

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 11:44:32 AM »
Only in the spring when i am fishing for musky.  Sometimes i hang hooks off my drag chain and try to snag turtles. Awesome---thats real action boys.
Fish----- ffffissshh,--off
Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 12:02:01 PM »
Only in the spring when i am fishing for musky.  Sometimes i hang hooks off my drag chain and try to snag turtles. Awesome---thats real action boys.
Fish----- ffffissshh,--off
Pal

You stole that idea from me....Pal!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »
I like turtles.

jladdsmith

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »
Steve, good call on the innertube cover.  Also, you might consider adding a length of heavy mono or something as a safety measure.  It would suck to get hung up going through a strainer. 

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 08:59:22 PM »
Best advice is not to use a drag chain in fast current. EVER.

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 10:47:55 PM »
If you need to anchor a pink dumbbell works better. If you are needing a rudder/drift slower downer, a chain works better.  Start short (both the chain and rope) till you figure out what you like.  Personally, I don't like a chain on most flows, as it slows me down too much. Last word, be careful, not for high current areas (and rocks and strainers), keep a knife handy but when you snag, usually it is too quick even for a knife.

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 01:18:54 PM »
I used to use a dumbell as an anchor on my canoe, but it didn't work so well. It wasn't pink though - I guess I had the wrong color. :)

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2