Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Popping my saltwater cherry... TR  (Read 4054 times)

mrl0004

• FishHead
Popping my saltwater cherry... TR
« on: December 12, 2014, 02:33:14 PM »
I've been wanting to try and catch some saltwater fish on the fly ever since I started fly fishing. For one reason or another, I've always headed north to the mountains rather than south to the Gulf when I've had the opportunity. After this past trip, I see more trips south in my future. Later in the summer, some friends of mine started planning their annual mecca to LA for kayaking around the marsh, primarily for redfish. After a long drive in, I was finally seeing the LA marsh for the first time.

After settling in the house, conveniently located for an easy paddle out to the marsh, we enjoyed the awesome views...

....and began to get into some libations, good food and conversation.

Deer tamales

Bacon-wrapped deer tenderloin

Boudin

Hung over, we all drug ourselves out to the yaks to start the day...

Crawfish pie at 6am, why not?

Paddling out, the tide was out, which made paddling a little interesting in some spots. I actually got stuck for a while and had to wait until the tide came in more to make an escape. I learned quickly that the LA marsh mud is like quicksand.

After spooking quite a few fish as I paddled (read "scooted with a paddle") across the marsh (read "mud"), I found an area that had several smaller channels flowing into one. I staked out the yak and began to cast a gold kreelex redfish toad fly. I was using a 9wt, because that's all I own above a 5wt, and it wasn't long before I hooked into my first redfish. He snapped my shotty knot as quickly as I hooked him and I was left with equal parts excitement and being pissed off. I re-tied, put the same fly on and waited. I saw another cruiser come in and put the fly a few feet in front of him, gave it a couple of strips and he hit like a freight train. After quite a tug-of-war session, I landed my first ever saltwater fish on the fly, a nice 26" redfish.

Multiple pics of the same fish

I think I actually uttered the phrase: "F&$k brook trout!" after that. I've definitely been missing out by ignoring the salt. I still haven't bought a Yeti or a salt-life sticker though.

After catching some fish, we decided to paddle up into the marsh more.

The winds picked up pretty good and were gusting above 20mph, so we tried some skinny water.

I didn't have much look trying to manage the paddle and the fly rod, so I just kind of enjoyed the paddling. We came up on a fish camp out in the middle of nowhere, so we decided to borrow their picnic table for lunch.

Lunch of champions

After lunch, we hooked into a couple more fish before the wind became unbearable.

Enjoyed a well deserved beer after a good day fishing, but a tough day of paddling.

Got back to camp to find this bounty that our cajun friends caught:

Which ended up like this:

Grilled crab was awesome, well worth all the work for a tiny bit of meat.

The rest of the trip was met with weather not conducive to fly fishing, although the guys using gear still found success. So when the weather was shitty, we rode around town making beer runs.

The nights were spent like this:

And enjoying some of the spoils of our hard work...

Redfish on the halfshell

Redfish tacos

Bacon-wrapped fried redfish filets

The tide came in pretty good the last night and drove us all out from under the house.

And also drove this little guy out, who had apparently been abandoned by its mother...

All in all, it was a stellar trip. We all caught fish, we literally ate nothing but meat, drank mostly beer and whiskey/bourbon, and had a good 4 days.

I can't wait to get back and maybe fish with redchaser next time. I had to stop and get some gas station boudin on the way out. I discovered that I love that boudin! Luckily the gas station variety didn't disappoint!

"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: Popping my saltwater cherry... TR
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 05:01:59 PM »
Great TR, why am i hungry now ::)

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 06:35:13 PM »
and thirsty  ;D

sounds like a freakin awesome trip to me !!
I just don't care!

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 06:58:17 PM »
what a smorgasbord .... nice trip report too

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 06:58:46 PM »
Great report, that is on my to do for certain. 

-Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 07:50:23 PM »
Looks like an all-around fine way to get started! Thanks for sharing!

and man, it's been a while since I've gotten down that way. Too long. Hmm...

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »
Great TR and it looks like an awesome time was had by you and your friends.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »
Great report Matt.  Good to see you on the board again.  I thought maybe you had found another hobby.

mrl0004

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 01:56:44 PM »
Great report Matt.  Good to see you on the board again.  I thought maybe you had found another hobby.

If by "another hobby" you mean working more, then you are correct! I simply have not had enough time to fish like I want. I don't have a boat, so I rarely fish around here, and the mountain trips are hard to do with as busy as I've been. Maybe I can do more in the coming year!
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 04:13:17 PM »

If by "another hobby" you mean working more, then you are correct! I simply have not had enough time to fish like I want. I don't have a boat, so I rarely fish around here, and the mountain trips are hard to do with as busy as I've been. Maybe I can do more in the coming year!
You better watch out hangin with those Drake boys!  Most of them think work is wayyyy over rated. ;D

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 09:30:53 PM »
Great report as always!! Man i need a salt fix!!!
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~